Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Guest Blog Post: Ms. G's Class & The Hunger Games


I am a big fan of the Hunger Games Book and Movie.  I am a bigger fan of Ms. G's (Giatrakos) students and her unbelievable ability to engage them in a love of learning.  Earlier in the year I had the pleasure of joining Ms. G, Ms. Webster (our outstanding Paraprofessional & Assistant Track Coach) and their English class for a dynamic lesson on the Hunger Games.  Ms. G & I dressed as characters - the class choosing me to play President Snow!  Student Maddy sang a beautiful song for Rhue, we discussed characters, played an online game and participated in an actual "Hunger Game" in the gym.  The most moving part for me was the thank you cards the class sent me the following day, which now brighten the bulletin board in my office.  I was so proud to be a small part of their learning.

It is my pleasure to honor Ms. G's class as guest bloggers on "The Burkie Blog."  Class: who is your favorite Hunger Games character, and why?

Tre 
My favorite character is Thresh because of his strength. He also has that never give up feeling inside him. Thresh is known to fight hard or die hard. He is the best at what he does. Thresh does not show fear to any of the contestants. He is a survivalist and was willing to fight and win for his District. I wish he survived and would be able to provide food for his district.


Jordan
My favorite character from the Hunger Games would be Katniss Everdeen because she knows how to fight and she never backs down from a fight. She is brave she also cares about her family more than anything else in the world. She is persistent and completes what ever obstacles are presented in front of her.


Maddy
I love the character Rue because she is kind and sweet. I liked her character because she teamed up with Katniss and was brave and tough. I thought it was cool that she can climb trees. I was sad when she died but when Katniss put flowers around her it was nice. 

Justin
My favorite character is Katniss because she can hunt and she knows how to survive. She rebelled against the capitol in the games.I liked her character and how she survived




Mrs. G
I would have to say my favorite character was Rue. She was the smallest and kindest.I am always cheering on the underdog.I enjoyed how she climbed trees and helped Katniss with the tracker jacker nest, and sang to the mocking jays.

Kyle
My favorite person in the Hunger Games is Katniss because she doesn't listen to people or care about what other people think about her. She is very independent and supports her family in many different ways by supplying them with food every day, taking care of them, and hunting. She also volunteered as tribute so her younger sister didn't have to go through the Hunger Games.

Haley N
My favorite Hunger Games character is Katniss Everdeen. She is my favorite because she volunteered to be in the Hunger Games to save her sister Prim. She is my favorite character because she is a good hunter and shoots well with a bow and arrow. She made a new friend named Rue and put flowers around her grave.

Kevin
In the book the Hunger Games there are many characters but only one is my favorite. Yes of course it is Katniss Everdeen! I think Katniss is my favorite character because she is loving but tough and will put her foot down when she has to. I feel like I can relate to her because she comes from a low class family and she does what she can with what little she has.She'll die for her family just to show them that she loves them. I also like that she went into the games not knowing what she is doing and still came out victorious, she didn't quit no matter what. 

Ms. Webster
My Favorite was Katniss Everdeen. Her character has a fierce independence, a strong will, athletic abillity and most of all a sense of self.  It is my hope that the "teenage" girls who get to know Katniss, will realize they too can be just as independent and have a positive sense of self.